CHATTERBOX
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 236 on Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:49 am
Latest topics
» good morning/afternoon/night
Child obesity 'is parental neglect' EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 4:45 pm by sabbi

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY FAIRYPRINCESS
Child obesity 'is parental neglect' EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 7:52 am by livingdoll

» HAPPY 40TH BIRTHDAY KELLIE
Child obesity 'is parental neglect' EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 10:43 am by livingdoll

» A - Z of Homophones
Child obesity 'is parental neglect' EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 5:32 am by sabbi

» A to Z of animals
Child obesity 'is parental neglect' EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 5:31 am by sabbi

» A - Z of words containing K
Child obesity 'is parental neglect' EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 5:30 am by sabbi

» A-Z words ending TION
Child obesity 'is parental neglect' EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 5:29 am by sabbi

» A - Z of LAST letter game
Child obesity 'is parental neglect' EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 5:28 am by sabbi

» Fruity A - Z
Child obesity 'is parental neglect' EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 5:27 am by sabbi

Top posters
sabbi (1397)
Child obesity 'is parental neglect' Vote_lcapChild obesity 'is parental neglect' Voting_barChild obesity 'is parental neglect' Vote_rcap 
livingdoll (934)
Child obesity 'is parental neglect' Vote_lcapChild obesity 'is parental neglect' Voting_barChild obesity 'is parental neglect' Vote_rcap 
fairyprincess (894)
tellconer (205)
diane (160)
kath (143)
Angel (107)
steel bat (86)
wiseguy (84)
♥ Nicola ♥ (81)

Child obesity 'is parental neglect'

4 posters

Go down

Child obesity 'is parental neglect' Empty Child obesity 'is parental neglect'

Post by livingdoll Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:15 am

Parents who refuse to help their obese children lose weight are neglectful, researchers have said. While obesity alone is not a child protection issue, a "consistent failure to change lifestyle and engage with outside support indicates neglect", they said.

"Childhood obesity becomes a child protection concern when parents behave in a way that actively promotes treatment failure in a child who is at serious risk from obesity," said experts writing online in the British Medical Journal (BMJ).

This involves parents who understand what is needed and are helped to get the right treatments for their child.

"Parental behaviours of concern include consistently failing to attend appointments, refusing to engage with various professionals or with weight management initiatives, or actively subverting weight management initiatives."

The team included Russell Viner, a reader in adolescent health at the Institute of Child Health in London.

They said poor parental behaviour was most worrying when the child was at risk of complications from their obesity, such as high blood pressure, Type 2 diabetes and difficulty with movement.

Failure to act should be regarded as a child protection issue when there is clear evidence of this behaviour "over a sustained period", they said.

And they added that "obesity may be part of wider concerns about neglect or emotional abuse".

This may include poor school attendance, exposure to or involvement in violence, neglect, poor hygiene, parental mental health problems or emotional and behavioural difficulties.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
livingdoll
livingdoll
Admin
Admin

https://kays.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Child obesity 'is parental neglect' Empty Re: Child obesity 'is parental neglect'

Post by livingdoll Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:17 am

What do you think of this report? Do you agree that its neglect or just love?
livingdoll
livingdoll
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Child obesity 'is parental neglect' Empty Re: Child obesity 'is parental neglect'

Post by wiseguy Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:25 am

in my case its a bit of both
wiseguy
wiseguy

Back to top Go down

Post by livingdoll Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:54 am

I think its a bit harsh when they say its neglect personally. I think a lot of the time its just that the parents love to know that their children are happy and have enough to eat. How is making sure your kids dont go hungry neglect?
livingdoll
livingdoll
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by letitbe Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:20 am

Today's kiddos sit on their butts all day playing video games. When I was growing up I was on my bicycle or tennis court or some such activity ALL day.
Too busy to dwell on being hungry or wanting to eat. Go figure. Basketball
letitbe
letitbe

Back to top Go down

Post by fairyprincess Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:10 am

letitbe wrote:Today's kiddos sit on their butts all day playing video games. When I was growing up I was on my bicycle or tennis court or some such activity ALL day.
Too busy to dwell on being hungry or wanting to eat. Go figure. Basketball
I so agree, keep them busy with loads of different activites and they dont think about food, and they are tired at the end of the day so go to sleep sooner Smile
fairyprincess
fairyprincess
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum